Auntie Nono's Mac and Cheeseby Auntie Nono
This baked mac and cheese is a family favorite, loved by both kids and adults. It’s our universal comfort food and the most popular dish at all our family gatherings. This recipe is everything you want in your Macaroni Cheese – cheesy, creamy, with perfectly cooked macaroni, plenty of sauce, and a crunchy buttery top (essential!)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- Unsalted butter
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Auntie Nono’s Everything Seasoning
- 3 Cups Milk
- 4 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar
- 2 cups freshly shredded Gruyere Cheese
½ cup breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp Auntie Nono’s Everything Seasoning
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease your baking dish. We recommend a 2-quart casserole dish. Combine the shredded cheeses in a bowl and set aside.
- Boil pasta according to box instructions in salted water, until slightly al-dente. Drain and rinse well with cold water. Set aside.
- For the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour and Auntie Nono’s Everything Seasoning. Continue stirring until the roux turns pale brown and bubbles. Slowly whisk in the milk, one cup at a time, making sure the milk is fully incorporated. Continue to stir until the sauce has thickened. Add 2 cups of your freshly grated cheese and stir until it’s melted. Add your drained pasta and mix thoroughly.
- Pour half of the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining 2 cups of shredded cheese and then the remaining mac and cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle over the top and bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes
Auntie Nono’s Tips
Freshly shred your cheese! Pre-shredded cheese is coated and does not melt properly.
Cook your pasta to slightly less than al-dente, we usually subtract one minute from the cooking time on the box. Since we are also baking the mac and cheese, we don’t want the noodles to be overcooked.